Sunday, March 30, 2014

Blood & Short-Tailed Pythons

Blog #4 (Blood's & Short Tail Pythons)

1. Blood & Short Tailed Pythons by Kara & Ryan Norris

2. From the Reptiles Magazine Online, March 2014.

3. I chose this article because I know we have Bloods in the Reptile Room, but I haven't handled them much, so before I decide to handle more I want to know more about their behavior. 

4. I liked how the authors of this articles are trying to change the reputation of the bloods. Bloods are known as aggressive, high maintenance and big eaters. All of these traits actually come from the way these pythons are brought up. Most bloods are hatched from a mother that is wild-caught. After they hatch they are exported and sold through the reptile trade and may be handled in correctly. These pythons are subjected to a lot of shipping stress and become agitated easily.

5. I learned that a lot of bloods actually are prone to getting respiratory infections which is new to me. When looking to purchase a blood you want to look for a solid, plump and alert python. A blood with prominent backbones, slack skin and wrinkled scales may indicated that this snake has health problems. You can tell when they have an infection when they are huffing or gurgling. Watching for open mouth breathing is also an indicator of these problems. 

6. The only questions I have for bloods is I'd like to know where the Bloods we have at school came from! A breeder? Pet store? I'm curious :) Our bloods are actually pretty calm though.

7a. Yes, personally I'd think about getting a blood. I like the way pythons look and feel. Although, I would want a well behaved blood. Thrashing and aggressive snakes aren't very fun.
b. Bloods can range between $100-$550.
c. Bloods are available at http://bloodpythons.com/cms/ for between $300-$500 and at http://www.metalmonkeyexotics.com/blog/?cat=8 for unnamed prices.
d. There are over a dozen color morphs of blood pythons! 
e. Morphs like albino are more highly priced around $500-$600 or even more.
f. Albino Blood (top) & Lavender Albino Images are to the left --> 
g. Yes, these snakes are endangered due to their precious skin color.
h. No permit is needed to care for bloods.
i. No controversy in caring from bloods either. 

8. A cage that is 10 inches wide by 15 inches long by 5 inches tall is typical for a blood. They like temperatures in the 80's and sometimes like to soak in their water bowls. Bloods may be difficult to feed at first as hatchlings, but like to eat pinkies and rats for the bigger bloods. 

9. This animal is considered a intermediate animal because of their moodiness and their difficult feeding habits. 

10. The most interesting thing about the bloods to me is their beautiful skin and how many morphs there are of them. They are beautiful and I'm glad we have some to handle in our back room! 

No comments:

Post a Comment